For Property Owners - It encourages property maintenance and renovation by providing exterior design assistance, sharing information on local historic guidelines, and supplying resources for renovation. Property values are strenghthened by Main Street Calumet efforts to preserve the special chracter of our downtown.
For Business Owners - It enhances the downtown business climate. Business owners benefit from an expanded customer base, increased sales and business growth and expansion.
For Residents - It inspires community pride and creates benefits by an overall improved economy, employment opportunities, and more places to do business.
Why Is the Main Street Program Important to Calumet?
City governments and businesses commonly ask Main Street advocates, "Why should we invest in downtown?" In response, here are a few reasons why your downtown district is an important and worthwhile investment in the economic health and quality of life in your community.
• Main Street is a symbol of community economic health, local quality of life, pride, and community history. These are all factors in industrial, commercial, and professional recruitment.
• A vital Main Street retains and creates jobs, which also means a stronger tax base. Long-term revitalization establishes capable businesses that use public services and provide tax revenues for the community.
• Main Street is a good incubator for new small businesses - the building blocks of a healthy economy. Strip centers and malls are often too expensive for new entrepreneurs.
• A vital Main Street area reduces sprawl by concentrating retail in one area and uses community resources wisely, such as infrastructure, tax dollars, and land. A healthy Main Street core protects property values in surrounding residential neighborhoods.
• The traditional commercial district is an ideal location for independent businesses, which in turn:
- Keep profits in town. Chain businesses send profits out of town
- Supports local families with family-owned businesses
- Supports local community projects, such as ball teams and schools
- Provide an extremely stable economic foundation, as opposed to a few large businesses and chains with no ties to stay in the community
• A revitalized Main Street increases the community's options for goods and services, whether for basic staples like clothing, food, and professional services, or less traditional functions, such as housing and entertainment.
• Main Street provides an important civic forum, where members of the community can congregate. Parades, special events, and celebrations held there reinforce an intangible sense of community.
Main Street districts become tourist attractions by virtue of the character of buildings, location, selection of unique businesses, and events held there
How can I help?
Main Street Calumet is a local non-profit program that hinges on community involvement. there are several ways you can help.
Volunteer - Assist with promotional activities, special events, mailings, and more.
Join a Committee - Become an active member of the Organization, Promotions, Design, or Revitalization Committee. New ideas and diverse talents are always welcome.
Contribute - Become a member of Main Street Calumet: your donation will help ensure the future of this historical landmark